The local railways developed from the waggonways which took coal from the local pits down to the River Tyne.
Waggonways were developed from the 18th century to deliver coal from the local pits to the staithes built on the Tyne at Lemington. A large network of wooden waggonways was developed and in the early 19th century which were replaced by iron rails. From 1813 Puffing Billy, an early locomotive built locally by engineer William Hedley, was used to pull the waggons on the Wylam Waggonway.
Lemington Station c1921 with Sugley Villas in the background. Robert Days, uncle of the donor, is wearing Merchant Navy Radio Operatorís uniform. His friend, Billy Kirton, is also off to join his ship but has his uniform in a parcel. (Pic - BYGONE Bellís Close & Lemington, A.D. Walton)
Between 1875 and 1876, the Scotswood, Newburn & Wylam Railway line, used the route of the old Wylam to Lemington Waggonway. This was a short six and a half mile line serving the north bank of the River Tyne. Lemington Station was built in front of Sugley Villas.
Newburn Station was situated at the western side of Newburn Bridge. Unfortunately little now remains of this once busy station.