Skip navigation and go to main content

Lemington Glass Works

Although the actual production of glass in Tyneside ceased a long time ago, its legacy still survives in Lemington.

Glass making was first recorded in Newcastle in 1619 and was to become the second most important industry on Tyneside after coal. In 1787 the Northumberland Glass Company erected four glasshouses on land by the River Tyne, leased from the Duke of Northumberland. Within ten years, four huge brick cones had been added to increase the variety of glass products from the factory. Initially only flat glass was produced from the four large glass cones.

Lemington Glass Works

The picture shows houses in Cross Row lying between High and Low Rows. One glasshouse remains as a listed building. The houses were constructed without windows in the walls facing the glassworks because of the smoke and smells. (Pic - BYGONE Bellís Close & Lemington, A.D. Walton)

From 1833 to 1845 the Glassworks was operated by Joseph Lamb & Sons but shortly after this date there was a depression in the glass trade and full scale operations were not reinstated until 1898 when George Sowerby, the famous glassmaker, took over.

By 1837 all but the largest of the cones was demolished. In 1993 the only remaining cone was restored and conserved as a protected industrial monument being only one of four such surviving cones in the country.

Website powered by Website Baker
Designed and implemented by Ben Smith
on behalf of Newcastle City Council's Historic Environment Section
with graphics and content from Differentia Design Ltd