Many early schools developed near churches or monasteries but in the 17th and 18th centuries many charity schools set up by rich benefactors appeared as well as public schools.
In 1811 the Church of England set up the National Society for the Education of the Poor and in 1814 the Quakers set up the British and Foreign school Society. 1870 saw parliament set up a form of state education under the Education Act and in the late 19th century School Boards were set up - the forerunner of Council Schools.
The picture shows the Bell’s Close section of Scotswood Road c1900. Irish workers attracted to riverside factories supported St Goerge’s church and school which served a wide area. (Pic - BYGONE Bell’s Close & Lemington, A.D. Walton)
Both Holy Saviour Church and St. George’s RC Church in Lemington had schools attached. St George’s is still running but the Holy Saviour School closed in 1937.
Newburn Manor and Lemington Riverside schools were Board schools. Newburn Manor opened in 1890 as a Church controlled school prior to becoming a Board school. In 1974 both schools became First Schools and in 2004 they became Primary schools. The Sea Scouts building just south of this Waymarker was once a school building.
“There was a flourishing choir at Sugley Church during the late 1940’s and 1950’s. There were sufficient choir boys to form a football team.”
(From the recollections of William Lynn, a community resident.)