Many industrial ‘pioneer’ communities were created throughout the North East during the Industrial Revolution.
Although a mill and riverside staiths are recorded at Lemington as early as 1638, the foundation of a real working community here had to wait another 150 years until Lemington’s glass and iron companies built factories and workers’ terraces in the late 18th century. These close knit communities were linked together by common work pressures and practices.
The picture shows an old glass works schedule of property listed, “Two roomed cottages with piggeries, coal houses etc. attached”. (Pic - BYGONE Bell’s Close & Lemington, A.D. Walton)
Limited mobility meant that shopping, social and public facilities had to be concentrated nearby, so that, in time, the centre of the Lemington community moved from the riverside up to Tyne View as the community itself expanded up the river bank. Shared memories, due to social facilities provided the ‘social glue’ that held the community together.
Many community activities flourished, such as the British Legion Club, Women’s Temperance Association, tennis club, camera club, uniformed youth organisations, keep fit clubs, knit and natter club, sewing group, Townswomen’s Guild and, still going strong, The Lemington Male Voice