Skip navigation and go to main content

Coal and Power

Coal mining has been a North East activity since the Roman period, but did not become the single most dominant influence on the growth of the regionís economy until late in the 17th century.

The coal industry doubled its production by 1750 and, by the end of the century, most of the problems of flooding, ventilation and transport to the surface had been solved, paving the way for a huge expansion into the 19th century. The availability of established waggonways leading down to the river enabled the development of the many local collieries. Percy Pit lasted for about 100 years before being closed and the whole site was reclaimed in the late 1980s. This process transformed the area into a country park of grassland, trees and a pond.

Lemington Power Station circa 1903

The picture shows Lemington Power Station as it was soon after 1903. (Pic - BYGONE Bellís Close & Lemington, A.D. Walton)

The coal powered Lemington Power Station was built in 1903. In 1955, the two mighty North and South Stella Power Stations provided both industrial and domestic power for much of Tyneside.

After 57 years operation, they became obsolete. The distribution equipment can still be seen alongside the road between Lemington and Newburn.

Website powered by Website Baker
Designed and implemented by Ben Smith
on behalf of Newcastle City Council's Historic Environment Section
with graphics and content from Differentia Design Ltd